Hi GCKids Parents,
Please enjoy this month’s GCKids Connect:
“Join the Team” Update:
We have seen volunteerism grow in the past few months from 60 percent to 90 percent. Though we are excited about the progress, we will continue to work hard to recruit until we are at 100 percent volunteer capacity in Kids Ministry. We believe that kids are worth it! If you would be interested to hear more about why Kids Ministry is awesome and worthy of your time, we’d love to connect with you. Please email me, or any of our GCKids staff listed below!
Kids Pastor: Jamie Tressen (JTressen@GraceChapel.org)
Nursery/Childcare Director: Pam Willecke (PWillecke@GraceChapel.org)
Preschool Director: Kelli Snyder (KSnyder@GraceChapel.org)
Preschool Associate: Kelly Blair (KBlair@GraceChapel.org)
Elementary Director: Brittany Conklin (BConklin@GraceChapel.org)
Elementary Associate: Brittany Enriquez (BEnriquez@GraceChapel.org)
GCKids Associate: Lisa Hetherington (LHetherington@GraceChapel.org)
Get To Know Us!
Meet Brittany Conklin. Brittany is our Elementary Director and is our newest member of our GCKids staff. She is married to Travis, and they have two kids, Kaylah (5th grade) and Mitchell (1st grade). Some of her favorites:
- Hobby: Anything with family, especially camping!
- Restaurant: California Pizza Kitchen
- TV show: NCIS
- Last picture you took on your phone: My family in Halloween costumes
- Most visited website: Pinterest
- Vacation destination: Disney World or Hawaii
- Bible verse:Hebrews 13:2 because you never know who you may be talking to, but you should always talk to one another with respect and kindness from your heart.
- Breakfast this morning? Lucky Charms with unicorns
- If you had an extra $500, what would you buy? A weekend getaway in Estes Park to watch the elk with my family! We would leave Thursday and be back for Sunday morning at Grace, of course!
Trunk or Treat Recap:
We had 600–800 people dressed in their best costumes for our amazing Trunk or Treat outreach event last month! We gave out 900 slices of pizza, 600 water bottles, 175 hot dogs, and had 20 trunks full of candy! Thank you to everyone who participated and helped make this evening a huge success.
Helping Parents Navigate Kids’ Obsession With Screens
Sundays, November 11–25
9:00–10:15 AM • Community 500’s Building
Did you know:
- In a typical day, children consume just over three hours on media. This includes computer use, cell phone use, tablet use, music, and reading. Two-thirds of this time is spent with “screen media” (TV, computers, Internet, etc.) while reading is less than 20 minutes per day.
- Sixty-five percent of children, under eight years old, watch television daily. On average, they spend about an hour and a half (100 minutes to be exact) watching TV every day.
- Television watching typically begins at nine months of age.
- Compared to watching TV, playing video games starts later; but nearly half of all two-to-four-year-olds play video games. This increases dramatically just a few years later – 81 percent play video console games and 90 percent use computers.
Join us as we help parents build awareness and stay connected with their families in this social media world. We will explore the role of parents in helping kids navigate a digital world safely and responsibly. Over three weeks, we will:
- Expose the benefits and lies of technology
- Discuss the advantages and dangers of social media
- Expose how the brain is being reprogrammed
- Reveal the secret temptations of the Internet (pornography)
- Offer responsible solutions
(Stats from Dr. Brent Conrad, a psychologist and video game addiction specialist; www.techaddiction.ca)
R.S.V.P. for the class here.
Seeking Paid Childcare Workers:
We are seeking paid childcare workers for the fall/winter. If you have interest in hearing more about this opportunity to help provide midweek childcare, please contact Pam Willecke at PWillecke@GraceChapel.org.
Thank you and God bless,
Jamie Tressen, Kids Pastor
8505 S Valley Hwy
Englewood, CO 80112
303.799.4900, Ext. 22
This Month at GCKids: November 2018
Basic Truth: God made me.
Memory Verse: Always give thanks to God. Ephesians 5:20, NCV
Click here for Nursery and Preschool resources.
Life App: Cooperation—Working together to do more than you can do alone.
Memory Verse: Two people are better than one. They can help each other in everything they do. Ecclesiastes 4:9 (NIrV)
Click here for Elementary resources.