Parenting Milestone Classes
What is it?
A milestone is “An event, preceded by a period of instruction from parents which celebrates a spiritual development point in a child’s life.” Jim Weidmann, Spiritual Milestones: A Guide to Celebrating Your Children’s Spiritual Passages.
Milestones are key spiritual development points in the life of a child or teenager. Parents need to know these critical milestones and how to walk their son or daughter through them from a biblical perspective. This is our legacy to our families.
Parenting Infants – Milestone 1 – Parent/Child Dedication (age birth–2) This one-week class will cover: how to lead your children to each Milestone, understanding child dedication, understanding parental roles, and growing a healthy marriage.
Parenting Young Children – Milestone 2 – Salvation & Baptism (age 3–9)
Focused on parents of 3-9 year olds, step 2 of our Milestones is about growing your relationship with your child. This 4-week class covers:
* how to plant seeds of biblical truth
* how to lead your child to Christ
* how to form boundaries for attitude and behavior
* how to discipline and correct
* how to instruct the mind and heart
* how to model spiritual disciplines
* how to practice the “one-anothers.”
Parenting Adolescents – Milestone 3 – Adolescence & Purity (age 10–13)
Sundays, August 12 – September 16 (will not meet August 26 on Vision Sunday) • 9 AM • Room 511
Focused on parents of 10-13 year olds, step 3 of our Milestones prepares parents for adolescence.
This 4-week class covers:
* how to plan your weekend retreat (puberty and purity)
* facing the challenges of middle school
* cultural changes,
* peer pressure
* cyber battles/controls
* infatuation, friendships and dating
* forming your child’s identity in Christ
Parenting Teenagers – Milestone 4 – Rite of Passage (age 14–18)
Focused on parents of 14-18 year old teens, step 4 of our Milestones is Rite of Passage. This 3-week class talks about how to foster manhood/womanhood in your teen through:
* maintaining a strong relationship with your teen
* helping them negotiate boundaries and decisions
* encouraging purposeful dating
* preparing your teen for college and career
Milestone 5 – Graduation (age 18+) This one-day seminar will cover: their role in God’s Kingdom and Church, how to defend ones faith (apologetics), how to be a leader (making disciples), life skills for singlehood, dating with a purpose to marry, and discerning the will of God.
For more information about the Milestone Classes, contact Ron Brenning, Family and Prayer Pastor, at RBrenning@GraceChapel.org.